February 03, 2015

Lima Bean Stew with Tomatoes, Olives, and Kale

How are you all coping with the snow there, fellow northerners? 

Over here, the wind howled and whistled all night long, trying its best to bring this old house down, and now there's a glittery expanse of jagged drifts and soft snow mounds out there. After sitting at my computer most of the morning in my winter jacket, wool scarf, two layers of pants, and a hot water bottle at my feet (it takes a while to get the wood stove going again in the morning), I finally opted to embrace the situation instead of curse it. The road still hasn't been ploughed, which means it is ALL ours. Not a vehicle in sight, perfect for a blissful cross-country ski under a serene blue after-storm sky. A sky that seems to be saying "who, me? I didn't do it". 


I've always found winter to be a challenge, but days like today, I realize it really is all about whether I chose to enjoy it or not. Spending time outside changes everything. I keep having to remind myself of that, and get off my butt a little bit more often. For me, it means the difference between loving or hating winter.


I had wanted to get this stew recipe out to you in time for the storm. But it's just as good apres-storm as before. Stews, soups, broths... these are the necessary armour to face a Nova Scotian winter. And lately, we've had a good rotation of various versions of all of these bubbling away on the stove. This one was quite a hit, and I thought I should share it with you. So if you're in need of a bowl of something warm to comfort you after all that snow, here's what I'm proposing: a tomato-ey lima bean stew with a rich flavour from the use of green olives, red wine, garlic, and smoked paprika. (Recipe link).








You'll find the recipe over here, on PBS Food. Enjoy!!




3 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious, I love lima beans. Definitely trying this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! A unique way to use olives and my over abundance of beans.- Omar

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is many things that I love in one dish... Perfect... Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete